Various rants, rumbles, and reactions about the world around us.

Friday, July 23, 2010

My question of the day: How can you both decry the fringe element and boast about the memership numbers?

There is a lot of discussion this week about the tea party (I must point out, it isn't really a party, anymore than the coffee party is one). Mark Williams was finally outed and ousted for his racism. Andrew Breitbart was busted for a severely truncated video of Shirley Sherrod, a U.S. Department of Agriculture employee, that created an uproar over supposed reverse racism when it was in all actuality a lovely speech about inclusion.
This brought out the black spokesperson for the umbrella tea group the "tea party express" that of course showed us that they aren't racist - not one single one of them.
Now I don't really believe that all tea party members are racist. I know there are some perfectly nice people that are members. I also know that a mass majority of them have been led to believe that anyone saying that we have a competent WH is lying. No matter the proof on any issue the fear that has been shoved into these good people is there to stay.
They really do believe that my liberal self is intending on invading their home, intending to take what they have worked for, and intending to hand it out to the "filthy" illegal immigrants that have supposedly taken all of their jobs. I really would rather have the money taken from me by the last administration and it would be great if they would have 1. Saved our solders and 2. set up the treatment and care they and their families needed. Neither of those things will happen, but I would like to see equality and healthy Americans that can work to pay into your social security. Ya I know it won't be available to me when it's my turn I get it, but really those that have retired and are using it worked their butts off for me to have a country to live in, so I'm all good with paying in because you deserve it. I just want a group I can afford to pay into to stay healthy so I can work that won't sue my state so their CEO can have yet another damn yacht and a fall house to move to when summers over.
Back to the tea party race issue:I have not met a black member yet, I am actively looking. I have met some people that are white. They use to be middle class, and will admit that they stopped being middle class right around 4 years ago. They admit it before they catch on to who was in office when their monetary decline began. They also tell me that they are absolutely not - in any way - racist. This said after forgetting the comments made to me personally about the Somali immigrants that have "invaded" our community.
I say that not to say they are actively anything like KKK members, but to point out that the seeds are there and easily grown by the miasma of crap batshit crazy information that is poured into their minds on a daily basis. This happens while they sit and watch the things that Andrew Breitbart snips and clips, that Glenn Beck diagrams and circles and crosses out while he cries about how scared he is that war is at hand. While this pours in one ear Rush Limbaugh and Bill O'Reilly and Sarah Palin pour mistrust of any other source of information or fact into the other ear.
Back to my question though. How can a group boast about being x amount of members strong, while claiming the same people in that count aren't really members because they are an admittedly racist fringe claiming inclusion? Along side that, why are members really members until someone calls them out on their hate speech and sedition? Last question for the moment goes to the people that thought the way a customer of mine thought: You said (2 years ago) that no one should speak ill of our president, that it was disrespectful to a country that should be honored at all times and to do so was the most disgusting thing you could think of. Why did I not have the right, but you now do?

No comments:

Post a Comment